|Remothered: Tormented Fathers|
'Remothered: Tormented Fathers' Logo
Darril Arts, Stormind Games
PC, PlayStation 4
Remothered: Tormented Fathers is a third person psychological horror game, and the first chapter of Chris Darril's long-awaited Remothered trilogy. It is being developed as a joint project between Darril Arts and Stormind Games, and it is planned to be published on PC through Steam, and PlayStation 4 in mid-2017.
The game written and directed as the "REAL answer to survival horror genre".
Remothered: Tormented Fathers is a third-person 3D psychological horror game where the player takes control of Rosemary Reed as she explores an Italian manor known as Felton Villa. She travels to the manor in search of clues with her goal being to solve the overarching mystery of the missing child Celeste Felton while escaping the clutches of a relentless killer who stalks her throughout the entire game.
The "Stalker" is a slasher-style villain in the vein of classic horror antagonists from games such as Clock Tower, Haunting Ground and Rule of Rose. If the stalkers repeatedly hit the player, Rosemary becomes seriously injured and, once caught by the Stalker, Rosemary goes into a defense mode where she can use a quick defense item (a QDI) during which time the player will need to complete a quick-time event to escape the killer's grasp.The behavior of the enemy is arguably the most fascinating variable in the survival-horror genre; Remothered: Tormented Fathers is no exception.Unlike games such as Clock Tower for the PlayStation, the stalkers appearance in Tormented Fathers is completely unexpected from the moment the game begins. They will always exist within the manor during the player's exploration, and they will be constantly hunting for you. The players main method of defense will be to hide from stalkers, and sometimes face them when necessary. Sound is also one of the main factors in the gameas they can be used as distractions, but players must be aware that stalkers can hear footsteps around the manor and they can track the player down. Audio clues will help players notice the stalkers’ footsteps, and the soundtrack composed by Nobuko Toda and Luca Balboni will alert gamers when their enemies are getting closer. Multiple items can be found within the manor to distract or even temporarily incapacitate the Stalker, such as alarm clocks, vases, blunt objects and more, but the Stalker will never die.
Rosemary Reed, a mysterious 35 year old woman, reaches the house of retired ex notary, Dr. Richard Felton searching for answers about a girl named Jennifer, who has apparently had a negative impact on the lives of many people. She rests in her white van, casually smoking a cigarette as she tries to figure out a way to get inside the manor without raising any suspicion, or revealing her true intention of investigating the Felton's adoptive daughter Celeste Felton, and her mysterious nickname. Celeste mysteriously disappeared just three years prior, in the fall of 1971.
Opting for a cautious approach, Rosemary knocks on the manor door posing as a doctor of the institute where Dr. Felton is being treated for a serious illness; a parasitic plague left by a strange proliferation of moths inside his body. As she enters the manor, Rosemary is greeted by the ex notary's nurse, Ms. Gloria, a very submissive, almost frightened individual who looks as if she knows a terrible secret that is too awful to speak of. Rosemary believes that Dr. Felton and his wife Arianna could be the only ones who know the truth of everything, including the secret of Celeste’s true identity. When Rosemary's cover is blown and her and her true intentions come to light, the terrifying dread begins.
The events of the game's story are linked to fall tragic of Arianna Felton, Richard's wife who has apparently been in a catatonic state since Celeste's disappearance, as well as Dr. Felton's own terrifying past, and the anguishing loss of his adopted daughter who became the only thing in Felton's life that gave him a reason to live, but also became his nightmare and torment. Rosemary's investigation will bring her to believe that the girl's disappearance is a cover up for something terrible, some kind of massacre, and She begins to discover that and a group of cloistered nuns in red and a long dead cult called Cristo Morente could hold the key to finding out what happened to Celeste and finding answers about Jennifer.
The solution to the mystery is somewhere in Felton Villa...
For it's previous version, please see: Remothered Alpha VersionsThe origins of the project date back to mid 2007 when it was announced as a personal fan-tribute to the original Clock Tower, originally released on the Super Famicom in 1995, and it was being developed on RPG Maker XP and Adobe Photoshop, but that changed between 2009 and 2012, when Chris Darril announced that the game's story would undergo heavy rewrites and that developments was to be completely rebooted to take advantage of a newer game engine.
Between 2012 and 2015, Chris Darril received multiple offers from studios wanting to purchase the Remothered IP, all of which Darril refused. Chris Darril is still the owner of Remothered and it's intellectual properties, but with his Darril Arts partnered with Stormind Games, brings new life to the project under the title "Remothered: Tormented Fathers" which combines the narratives of the original Remothered and it's originally proposed sequel; "Remothered: Grave Torments".
Cast and Characters Edit
- Rosemary Reed voiced by Danielle McRae
- Rosemary is a mysterious 35 year old woman who wants to discover the truth behind the disappearing of a little girl called Celeste. She believes that the solution of the mystery can be found inside Dr. Felton's house.
- Richard Felton voiced by Adam Harrington
- Affected by a terrible disease, gotten worse with age, Dr. Felton left his notarial career and began gardening as a hobby. Even though he looks like a harmless and sick person at first, Dr. Felton hides a dreadful secret..
- Gloria voiced by Lani Minella
- Gloria is a shy and dull woman almost in her forties working as the personal nurse of Dr. Felton. Although her generic and faint appearance, she probably knows the truth behind Felton’s spouse and their disappearing daughter and she hides it because she fears for her own life.
- Celeste Felton/Jennifer voiced by Olivia Steele
- Disappeared out of the blue during the fall of 1971, Celeste and her story became a news topic for the following two years. Celeste’s disappearance under obscure circumstances hides something more complex behind it. Her peculiar “nickname” Jennifer is arguably the most useful hint to solve the mystery.
- Arianna Felton
- Married to Richard Felton, Arianna is a quiet and lonely woman fallen into a sort of catatonic state since the disappearing of her daughter Celeste. What did make her retiring to private life?
- Red Nun
- Belonging to a very small group of cloistered nuns, the Red Nun appears as a threatening figure in red covered by moths and armed with a dangerous spear. She is probably the only survivor of a terrifying fire, which destroyed the cloister Cristo Morente.
Remothered: Tormented Fathers is the first chapter in the Remothered trilogy of games which is planned to be fully released over the next few years. According to the game's director, you will be able to buy the games separately, or as a bundle through a planned season pass. Each game will run between 6 to 7 hours.
The game's soundtrack is composed by Japanese musician Nobuko Toda, who is known for her work on the Metal Gear Solid series as well as Bethesda's horror project The Evil Within and Halo 5. During the end of February 2017, Darril Arts announced the extra involvement of another musician, Luca Balboni, an appreciated Italian composer that honed his skills at Remote Control Production of the Academy Awards winner Hans Zimmer.
The main theme "Tormented Fathers" is composed by Nobuko Toda and can be downloaded by subscribing to the newsletter on the official site.
The theme song "Two Hearts Never Lonely (Top of the World)" heard in the announcement trailer is written by Chris Darril and Nobuko Toda, the vocals are performed by Italian singer Federico Villaruel.
Chris Darril has stated that much of his inspiration for Remothered comes from Polanski's cinematography, as well as King's literature. He has also been inspired by games such as Haunting Ground, Rule of Rose, Silent Hill and the hide&seek gameplay proposed by the terrifying Alien: Isolation.
- It has been said that Tormented Fathers is a merging of the original Remothered's storyline and that it's intended sequel Remothered: Grave Torments.
- In Forgotten Memories: Alternate Realities, the Red Nun makes a cameo as a painting as well as the little Jennifer. This was an easter egg by Chris to say to fans wondering about the game's future development that "they're still alive and they're looming over other universes too".